This article is also posted at my sister blog: http://moveonreid.wordpress.com/.
The liberals at Huffing and Puffington Post are floating this story on Sharron Angle and Scientology (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/10/sharron-angle-scientology_n_607690.html), and implying that Sharron is a Scientologist herself or has some weird connection to it.
The fact is that Sharron is a Christian, not only which I know from personal experience (and I’ve known her for 15 years), but which was also reported in depth in the following article: http://www.lvrj.com/news/gop-senate-hopeful-sharron-angle-is-counting-on-conservative-credentials-88756137.html.
This “controversy” surrounds the Second Chance program, a program for helping incarcerated substance abusers. The facts on it can be found at: http://www.articlealley.com/article_131655_18.html.
The Second Chance Program was a success in New Mexico in 2007. "For the first time, we're actually diverting serious substance abusers from jails and prisons into a facility that gives them what they need to turn their lives around," [said] [Joy] Westrum (President of the Second Chance Program). "Since the cost is equal to or less than what the state would spend to house the inmates, everyone wins. With the low recidivism rate, taxpayers don't have to foot the bill for future incarcerations, and the prisoners have been trained and empowered to lead successful and rewarding lives."
Notice that the article mentions now deceased L. Ron Hubbard as follows, “The protocol utilized in the Second Chance Program is based on discoveries by L. Ron Hubbard in the fields of drug and criminal rehabilitation.” Scientology is not part of the program nor is it mentioned, but it is a cutting edge program that works.
It is a fact that Angle did not promote the Second Chance program in 2003 - only the option to explore its potential. The trip she took was a privately funded, and took place on a non-legislative working day. Legislators were invited to come on a voluntary basis, as reported in the Reno Gazette Journal in February 2003.
She did not propose legislation. No, Huffing and Puffington Post, she did not "propose a bill which was defeated". The facts on the supposed legislation are at http://www.leg.state.nv.us/72nd/BDRList/fullBDR.cfm. Click on the link and look at the 2003 legislative session. You will find that there was never a bill requested by Angle for any prison drug rehab program, there was never any appropriation requested by Angle.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if political discourse could be based in reality, truth, policy, and ideas, instead of fabricated allegations? Wouldn't it be wonderful if liberal journalist at media outlets like "The Huffington Post" checked their facts before they published them?
- Sharron Angle RE: Scientology
- Sharron Angle: Re: Gulf Spill
- Jim DeMint Endorses Sharron Angle
- Sharron Angle Wins GOP Primary…by 14 POINTS!
- No, Tea Party Nation, Danny Tarkanian is NOT Conse...
- Lowden in desperation mode: questions Sharron Angl...
- Sharron Angle leads GOP field by 8% in new poll; b...
- FreedomWorks PAC Endorses Sharron Angle
- BREAKING NEWS: Washington Times Reports Sharron An...
- Wall Street Journal: Sharron Angle could ignite st...
- ▼ June (10)
- I am a citizen journalist, wife to Bill, and Mommy to Charlotte and Cheyenne. I work at a chemical company writing Material Safety Data Sheets and own a small business on the side. I started this blog to "sound the alarm" on what is happening in this country with respect to the assault on our freedoms, and because I was called to do it: Ezekiel 33:1-5: "The word of the LORD came to me: 'Son of man, speak to your countrymen and say to them: 'When I bring the sword against a land, and the people of the land choose one of their men and make him their watchman, and he sees the sword coming against the land and blows the trumpet to warn the people, then if anyone hears the trumpet but does not take warning and the sword comes and takes his life, his blood will be on his own head. Since he heard the sound of the trumpet but did not take warning, his blood will be on his own head. If he had taken warning, he would have saved himself. But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes the life of one of them, that man will be taken away because of his sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for his blood.'"